7.18.2011

On Treading Water and Bulgarian Feta

A few quick notes.

1) Moving is crazy.

2) Do not get sick or hurt, ever.


So, we're treading water a bit. Having just recovered from an apartment move and with my Sidekick on the mend from a herniated disc, the food we've been putting in our faces has relied largely on the two following principles: how quickly can I do this, and with how little heat?

Which is where Bulgarian feta comes into the picture.

Bulgarian feta (like Bulgarians, frankly) is mysterious in composition. It is gently salty like the best Greek feta, but, like the best French feta, doesn't really crumble as much as it... envelops? There is a restaurant near my office called Kashkaval, well known for their fondue, but most frequented by me for a spinach tapa, drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil, heavily seasoned with dill, with the softest, creamiest feta folded throughout. I've been trying to recreate this recipe for over a year. Bulgarian feta brought me the closest I've been. There will be more tries, I can promise you that.

Spinach with Dill, Lemon and Bulgarian Feta
1 bunch spinach, rough chopped as for a salad
1 bunch fresh dill
1 bunch scallions, chopped into 1/2 inch lengths
1 bunch breakfast radishes
1/4lb Bulgarian feta, crumbled (although it won't really crumble, it will sort of... smoosh)
juice of one lemon
olive oil
salt
pepper

Combine all ingredients and let marinate in the fridge for as long as you can stand before digging in.

(I've now convinced myself that the genius behind Kashkaval's variation of this is that they saute the spinach briefly before chilling. I'll report back once I've actually tried it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment