9.07.2011

Let's Have Some Frills

We have begun the Stuffed Eggs section of A Book of Hors d'Oeuvre and I couldn't be happier.


We all know that I love to make deviled eggs. A little bite of filling receptive to any spice you mix it with, held preciously in an edible boat? Uh, yeah. What's not to like? I am, however, relatively set in my ways when it comes to deviling eggs. I have a certain set of ingredients that rotate around each other that are usually on-hand because this keeps my life simple and simplicity is important to me.

I’m a no-frills kind of woman. I’d rather be in jeans and a t-shirt than Chanel, flip flops than heels, a pub than a five-star restaurant. My favorite meals, both to eat and to prepare, are honest and straightforward. That being said, there is a time to pick up a pastry bag and fancify the shit out of some deviled eggs.


That time feels nigh, especially considering the cavalcade of natural disasters that have rolled through the east coast during the last month. And now, post-near-apocalypse, the dust has settled and it feels an awful lot like fall. If you, like I, need a little brightness in your life on these rainy, dreary days, try these little bursts of sunshine with a few friends and a few beers. You can have the end of summer when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.


Cress Eggs
3 hard-boiled eggs
5 tablespoons finely chopped cress*
3/4 teaspoon curry
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Tabasco and salt
Pimiento

Cut the eggs in halves lengthwise, remove the yolks and force through a sieve. Mix well with the cress and seasonings and fill the whites. Arrange over the top of each a trellislike garnish of finely cut strips of pimiento. Place a tip of cress at one end.

* I used mizuna, because that is what my market had. I think arugula or any other spicy, lemony green would work in place of watercress if you have trouble finding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment