11.05.2010

Pimento Cheeseburger

Some things that I love:

1. My Sidekick

2. Pimento cheese

3. Hamburgers


Sometimes, these three things combine into one super, megaladon of happiness and joy. When I say sometimes, I mean when I cavalierly mention in a blog post that I would like to eat a salad next to something deviously rich and luscious, like a cheeseburger with pimento cheese.

Sometimes you say things like that and they disappear into the ether. Sometimes you say things like that and then your husband goes, "OHMYGODMAKEITRIGHTNOW!" Which is pretty adorable and hard to say no to.


So, here's the deal. Make a hamburger. Everyone has their favorite way, some people like theirs grilled, some broiled, I'm partial to our cast iron skillet, lately - it doesn't really matter, because you're slathering this stuff on it. Once the burger is a little less done than you like it, plop a huge dollop of pimento cheese on top, cover with a steel bowl or a smaller pan so the cheese will steam a little, then stuff your face.


This round, we put ours on some amazing seeded rye from Orwasher's and ate - one of my many weaknesses - waffle fries on the side. Sorry salad, we'll hang out some other time.


Pimento Cheese
4 cups sharp Cheddar, coarsely grated 
1 teaspoon cayenne (I like mine with a lot of kick, but you should adjust for your tastes.)
1/2 cup mayo, just enough to bind it all together
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup diced roasted red pepper (I use jarred for this, but if you're intrepid, effing roast your own!)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
salt and black pepper to taste

Um... mix it all together. Seriously. That's it. Then you can eat it on crackers, melt it under the broiler on toast, make SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH IT, the possibilities are endless. 
Also, having extra pimento cheese allows you to get crazy and experiment, a la my Sidekick's grilled ham and pimento cheese for lunch the next day. Here's a napkin for that drool on your face. 


No comments:

Post a Comment